Multiple appliances attended a large fire at the Bakkavor Pizza and Bread premises in Aston, Nantwich on the morning of last Saturday, May 23.
At 12:30 am, Fire and Rescue Services were called out to tackle the blaze on Whitchurch Road. A total of 10 crews equipped with hose reel jets and breathing apparatus were required to put out the huge fire, which was extinguished at about 5:00 am. Four of the crews remained at the scene the following day to check for hot spots and dampen down the site.
Preliminary investigations by fire services indicate that the blaze was brought about due to an electrical fault occurring within the air conditioning system housed in the building’s roof. For businesses in Nantwich or Chester with electrical installations like air conditioning unit, regular service checks can identify potential faults before they result in dangerous and damaging incidents.
It was necessary for the authorities to close the A530 Whitchurch Road, while firefighters fought the blaze, which was 80 metres by 40 metre at its most extreme. The fire was initially attended by just two crews who then called for help from a further eight appliances.
Firefighters from stations in Knutsford, Tarporley, and Congleton later used hand tools to cut and remove ceiling panels damaged in the fire, working alongside the building owner to help salvage any equipment that could potentially be recovered.
All Bakkavor Bakery Group employees on site were accounted for, with no injuries reported in the incident.