Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service crews from Grantham Fire Station were called out to a fire at a high voltage unit on Belton Lane at around 1:50am on May 4, the UK’s Memorial Day for firefighters.
Fire appliances attended the town of Grantham in Lincolnshire’s Kesteven District following reports of a blaze. Images taken by residents were posted on social media showing large plumes of black smoke billowing behind homes in the area
A spokesperson for Western Power Distribution (WPD) announced that a total of 44 residences were without electricity as a result of the incident, as the fire started in an electricity substation on an industrial estate.
Owners of industrial enterprises like warehouses and factories are legally required to perform a comprehensive risk assessment for fire safety. This may result in the installation of smoke detectors or fire alarms to prevent loss of life and damage to investment on the premises. Firms booking a fire alarm fitter in Chester or Grantham should make sure they use a qualified professional to install the safety devices.
A tweet by Grantham Fire Station stated that crews on site used a variety of specialist equipment to assess and extinguish the fire, including a thermal imaging camera, a foam branch and multiple hose reel jets. The message on Twitter also commented that a motorcycle and some wooden fencing close by the electrical substation were damaged after catching fire.