Fire services applaud action taken at Bury blaze


A recent fire that took place at the café based in Fairfield General Hospital in Bury, Greater Manchester, saw three fire appliances respond due to the quick action taken by the healthcare facility.

The fire at the hospital, which is situated on Rochdale Old Road, was determined to be electrical in nature and caused by a water leak. Fire crews attending the facility’s Broadoak Suite, where the blaze broke out, arrived at 9.30am to discover the site filled with thick smoke. Using Positive Pressure Ventilation (PPV) equipment, they cleared the smoke and employed a camera with thermal imaging capability to identify the fire’s source.

The investigation uncovered that a ballcock in a header tank, situated above the café in its roof space, was defective and had leaked water onto part of the electric system. Regular maintenance checks are an essential part of keeping premises safe and should be conducted by a qualified professional. Institutions and enterprises booking an electrical contractor in Chester, Bury and other parts of Northern England should always ensure maintenance workers are certified and skilled.

Watch Manager for Bury Fire Station, Steve Wilcock, commented on Fairfield General’s efforts:

“The hospital responded very responsibly and evacuated the site. They were very professional.”

Fire crews on site worked alongside hospital staff to ensure the impacted area was safe and that no disruption was caused to the facility’s service. No one present suffered any injuries during the incident and crews left the site at 11.30am.

Any queries?


Request A Quote Today


Unit 39, Pioneer Business Centre, North Road, Ellesmere Port CH65 1AE

03333 051576

Bundy’s Electrical & Safety Testing
Registered in England And Wales. Company Number 04738998

    Privacy Policy

    Scroll to Top
    Call Now ButtonCall Now!