Electrical fault uncovered as cause of shopping centre blaze

plug-free-img.png

Following an in-depth investigation by the London Fire Brigade that has only recently been closed, the cause of a shopping mall fire has been determined to be due to an electrical problem.

In 2019, on July 22, over 100 firefighters were called out to tackle a severe blaze that occurred at around 8am at the Mall Walthamstow, an East London shopping centre. Smoke poured from the building in a 30-foot-high column that was captured on camera from many miles away at London’s Canary Wharf.

While no injuries resulted from the incident, crews fought the fire for four long hours before it was successfully extinguished, and the centre was damaged extensively – so much so that many of the stores inside were forced to remain shut until September that same year.

The London Fire Brigade has now confirmed that it has finally concluded its investigation, with findings indicating the incident was unplanned.

A spokesperson for the brigade commented:

“The cause of the fire is accidental and is believed to be due to an electrical fault within an extractor fan.”

Operators and owners of commercial premises, such as retail stores and shopping hubs, have an obligation to ensure all electrical systems on site are performing at optimum, so they do not risk the lives of those using and working within them. Commercial electrical contractors in Chester, London and other major metropolitan areas around the UK can be relied on to perform regular electrical testing to ensure sites keep compliant.

Any queries?

Accreditations

Request A Quote Today

...

Unit 39, Pioneer Business Centre, North Road, Ellesmere Port CH65 1AE

03333 051576

Registered in England And Wales. Company Number 04738998

    Privacy Policy

    Call Now ButtonCall Now! Scroll to Top